Monday, March 13, 2017

ACL recovery.

I've been pretty much MIA since my surgery on the 22nd of February, but today I've decided it's high time for a little update.  And it's a bit easier now to get myself situated at the desk to do a proper blog post...pictures and all.

I won't lie...it's been pretty miserable these past (almost) three weeks post op.  I've never gone through a surgery before (other than a C-section) and this whole recovery thing is the absolute pits, and I'm afraid I'm pretty much terrible at it...as far as my mood is concerned anyway.  I'm irritable and to be honest, depressed.  It's just plain hard not to be able to do the things I'm used to doing and relying on others as much as I am.  I'm just super frustrated with a leg that's absolutely useless to me right now...yes, yes, I know it's not forever, but still.

 Ryan went with me on surgery day...and I was pretty much terrified.
This is right before they wheeled me away and my fate was in the doctor's hands.

 Is this picture not the most pathetic picture ever? 
 This is me right after surgery...yes, I'm surprised I'm posting it too, but this is reality folks.  I felt exactly the way I look...miserable.

 I perked up a little before heading home.

Little did I know I had a whole new set of challenges to face very soon...like getting from the car into my house in which case I kept fainting and finally Ryan had to scoop me up and carry me in.  
Sounds romantic, huh?  
Not really, try to imagine being carried with a leg that is locked straight in a brace and probably weighs 20 pounds.  My mom on one side of Ryan gently holding my leg up while I'm trying not to faint and be complete dead weight...and then trying to get through a door way...yeah, I'm sure the three of us were a sight to behold!  But I'll just go ahead and picture a very romantic scene.  I'm just super thankful I'm little and Ryan could carry me...although at the time I would have been completely happy if they let me just lay down on the driveway for the rest of the day.

 So this was my life for the first several days.
Couch, ice pack, and brace...I pretty much only got up to go to the bathroom.
I even slept on the couch for the first two nights as the stairs to my room completely freaked me out.

 I didn't shower for two weeks...I resorted to mini "bird baths" and my mom would wash my hair in the kitchen sink.  Seriously, my mom was our saving grace...she did all the cleaning, laundry, cooking, and carting my kids all  over the place...we could not have survived without her!!

 And in the middle of all this, I had a birthday!!
It happened to land on the night of the Academy Awards, so my friend and my mom created a little impromptu party...it was lovely and definitely perked up my spirits!

 And then the following day my mom threw another little birthday party with my brothers.  And they all chipped in and gifted me a BOSCH mixer!!  I'm so excited as I've been wanting that mixer forever!!  

I had my first post op appointment and physical therapy session a week after my surgery.  The doctor unwrapped my leg and other than it being super swollen, it didn't look too bad.

The weather has been warming up these past several days and the rest of the week looks like more sun is coming!  I try to get outside when I can to catch some vitamin D!

I will say, the first two weeks were the worst!!
But I feel as though I'm turning a corner.  I just have to keep reminding myself how far I've come!!  Otherwise I get super frustrated that I'm not where I want to be!  Physical therapy as become my life as I try to squeeze in 2-3 sessions a day at home and I go in twice a week to work with the doctor.  
I'll just keep plugging away!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...