Monday, March 21, 2011

Desert Dwellers Part II

We're back from our weekend in St. George...an unforgettable trip as always.

We left Friday afternoon, not the earliest start, but I guess it could have been worse. We
don't even get to the freeway yet and Morgan is already saying, "Are we there yet?" So yeah, that kinda gives you an idea of how the drive went...not so good. Lots of bickering, loud playing with toys, crying, more bickering, and tons and tons of "Are we there yet." Seriously, if I never hear, "Are we there yet?", "How many more minutes?" or "Are we almost there?" I'll be a happy lady.

That night wasn't much better...like I said earlier, hotel rooms equal no sleep. Ryan had the time trial Saturday morning so the girls and I decided to find a hike to do. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't all that great. Cold and overcast...the good news is that we saw lots of blossoms on the trees! Spring had arrived there! So yeah, hiking. Luckily, we found a great place! A Ranger suggested it and I'm so glad. It was a little tucked away place on BLM land...just beautiful!

I was loving the green everywhere!


The trail followed a little river.

I had a great time on that hike with the girls...they hiked like champs!
Later we met up with Ryan, had some lunch, and just chilled for a couple of hours in the hotel. Oh, yeah...the hotel. First off, let me mention that EVERYTHING was booked that weekend...so we got the bottom of the barrel as far as hotels go. Piper found two pills on the floor in the hotel. Yes, PILLS...on two different occasions. She got them into her mouth before I noticed them. One was white and one was red. I was hoping the red one was a Red Hot...but no such luck...it was a pill of some sort. I was able to get them out of her mouth before they dissolved and she didn't start trippin' or anything, but yeah...scary!
That evening was the crit...and it was pretty much miserable for spectating. Very cold, and very windy. I was very tempted to bail and go to the mall while Ryan raced. But I held strong and waited it out.
Ryan had an early start Sunday...so we didn't really see him at all that morning. I packed up the hotel room (thank goodness for that TV and Disney channel...it saved our sanity!) and left for Snow Canyon State Park. Of course I did make a much needed (and deserved) detour to Starbucks before I hit up the park.
We started the adventure with a walk (the girls rode their scooters) on a paved path that runs the entire length of the park. The wind was whipping and it was quite cold, but I held to the plan! About five hundred yards into the walk I hear Morgan screaming around the corner. I raced to get to her. I find her sprawled across the path and her scooter in a bush. Yeah, not good...she biffed it pretty hard. My poor little Morgie...I felt so bad. She vowed she would never ride her scooter again and crawled into the basket of the stroller, and there she stayed for the remainder of the walk. I rigged her scooter so it was hanging off the handle of the stroller. By this point Piper is screaming, Morgan won't stop whining, "I want to go home!!"...and me...I'm trying my best to stay positive! Every so often amidst the screaming I would say, "Oh girls!! Look at those rock formations...Aren't they amazing?!!" Like I said, I was trying my best to stay positive...it didn't work...Piper and Morgan were miserable. Then, if things couldn't get any worse...it started to rain. Yeah, that's the point where you just don't know whether you should laugh or cry.
Luckily, my Haley girl was happy as can be. She was my saving grace! Thank you Haley for being such a trooper! Sun, rain, snow, sleet, wind...it just doesn't matter to her, as long as she's in nature, she's a happy girl!

Look at that face...breaking my heart all over again.
And this one...crying...the...whole...way.
Happy girl!
It was beautiful though...even if it was cold.


After our failed walk on the path, we went to the sand dunes. Luckily by this point the wind died down and attitudes perked up.
That's Morgan way out there.
Happy again!



Is this not the coolest picture?! I'm quite proud of myself that I was able to get that with just my little point and shoot camera.
Ryan met up with us just as we were having our picnic lunch. He had a bite to eat and then it was on the road for home. About 30 minutes into the drive ALL THREE girls fell fast asleep...at the same time!! The stars must have been in line or something because this very rarely happens! Ryan and I had 1 1/2 hours uninterrupted conversation or just simple, wonderful, silence! It was fabulous! It was much needed since we were deprived of our alone time in the evenings when the kids are in bed like at home. When the kids fall asleep in a hotel room, we basically go to bed too...we don't want to risk making any noise in fear that a child will wake up!
Our worn out little girls.


So that's that. Gosh...now that was a big post my friends! I went a little crazy with the photos too!
Just for the record...Morgan has rode her scooter again since her spill. She rode it today when we picked up Haley from school. I knew she would come around!

3 comments:

Beth said...

That pill story freaks me out!! Did you complain to the hotel manager?

Kelly said...

Should have.

Cheynna Sutherland said...

You are the most amazing mom! Holy cow, I so admire you for taking the girls out and showing them a good time in the great outdoors! Glad to hear Piper and Morgan are okay as well! Scary!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...