Monday, February 9, 2015

Makeup Monday

Let me start by saying I was never a makeup person...ever.  In high school I wore neutral eyeshadow and mascara...and maybe sometimes if I was really feeling wild I would wear some eyeliner.  I don't really remember wearing lipsticks that often...I'm more of a chapstick kinda girl.  Seriously, if there is one thing I ALWAYS have on me, it's chapstick...and you can find them everywhere: my purse, car, kitchen, bathroom, jacket pockets....everywhere!  I HATE having chapped lips!  

If I ever went to a school dance my friend's mom did my makeup (let me add here that she also did my makeup for my wedding too)...they owned a ton of MAC makeup and it pretty much blew my one Mabeline eye palette and one mascara away!  I don't ever remember buying my own makeup...I did raid my mom's stuff quite a bit, or she might have bought me a thing or too that I requested or I would get hand me downs from my grandma's stash.  And I pretty much stayed that way for years and years...well, minus the raiding my mom's stuff...once in college I did start buying my own makeup, but I always bought the same things, and it was always from the drugstore...never high end...ever!  I pretty much thought that was the silliest thing ever to pay big bucks for makeup.  

HA!  Oh, how times change!

This was the day that my makeup world changed.
This was about two years ago.  It was my friends' birthday and her husband rented her a Mustang to go joy riding in for the day.  Well, she is a makeup guru and of course the first thing she wanted to do was drive to SLC (about 45 minutes away) and go to Sephora.  Me, not being a makeup person, thought it was a little weird...that's a long way to drive to look at makeup...but I was excited for our fun day none the less!


Well, while I was there I thought I might as well take a little splurge on myself and see what all the hype of high end makeup is all about. 
I bought the Urban Decay Basics palette.  I gravitated towards this because it was neutral and it was matte (except for one highlight shade)...very simple!  It's also $25, which I thought was absurd, but went for it anyway.  Thank goodness I loved it!  And this my friends, marked the beginning of my new obsession for makeup.

So, since then I've learned quite a bit (and still learning) about what works and what doesn't for me, and I have to admit my makeup collection has grown a lot since my one eye shadow palette and one mascara days.  Let's face it, my skin is not the same as it was when I was in my 20's and what worked then (barely anything) doesn't really work now.  

So, yeah, Makeup Monday....I thought I would just share products that I've been liking and work well for me every so often here on my little blog just in case anyone is interested out there.  I'll be sharing high end along with drugstore makeup.

First up:

Urban Decay BB cream.
I'm not big on heavy foundations, I hate feeling cakey!  So I've really been into BB (beauty balms) and CC (color correcting) creams.  (Or in a pinch I mix my moisturizer with a foundation).  Anyway, this one from Urban Decay is great!  It's super light, I can apply it with my hands and there is only one color so there is no fuss in trying to find the perfect match. It blends perfectly with "most skin tones" it says.  Plus, it has SPF of 20...gotta like that.  It just makes a really nice base for the rest of my makeup.  And when I'm in a hurry it's a life savor!


 Another favorite:
NYX Butter Gloss.
They are super affordable and I love them.  I usually wear them over a very neutral lipstick. They're not sticky at all (because we all know there is nothing worse than a sticky, goopy lip gloss)  The only downfall is that they don't last as long as...let's say...Buxom lip glosses.  But they still get the job done!
I have the colors Creme Brulee, Tiramisu and Vanilla Cream Pie...just in case anyone wanted to know.

So, there you have it...my first edition of Makeup Monday.  Does anyone else out there have an obsession with makeup?

Happy Monday ya'll!

1 comment:

Cheynna Sutherland said...

I too know next to nothing about makeup and I am trying to learn, so thank you for this! We do have a Sephora here, but they mainly carry European brands and I am always lost. I will go in and see if they have any of the items you suggested!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...