Thursday, February 5, 2015

Science Fair and crazy weather!

I now have my first Science Fair experience under my belt...countless more to come I'm sure!  5th and 6th graders participate in it, so goody me, I get to do again next year!  Haley chose to do a baking experiment...actually her and a friend chose to do a baking experiment as a team, but us moms didn't get our act together until the last weekend and unfortunately we both had to work Friday and Saturday, so in the end we decided to scramble Sunday with just our own child to worry about.  I'm pretty sure that was a run-on sentence...but whatever...I'm not known for my grammar...or my spelling (gotta love spell check).

So, the Science Fair.  Haley did her experiment on which fat makes the best pie crust: vegetable shortening, cold butter, room temperature butter or melted butter.  And surprise, surprise, cold butter was the big winner!  But I bet you didn't know that it's because when you put the pie in the oven (with cold butter) the water in the butter evaporates faster than the butter melts creating super flaky crust.  I'm sure there are other reasons too, but there's a little something sciencey for you.

Haley was super excited to show off her work.
"Pie in the Sky" was the title she insisted on.

It was a long day for these kids.  They spent pretty much all of it sitting by their project as people filtered in and out to look at them.  The judging took place in the morning and then families were able to come through in the afternoon.  So, I can't say as I blame her when I saw her in this position.


In other news, it seems Spring has decided to come early around here
Yeah, 66 degrees in February?!  That's not right!
Where are all our snow storms?!

 So, this afternoon while Haley and Morgan were skiing on the mountain for their programs, I took the little ones on a walk to visit the horses down the street.
I suppose I can't control the weather, so I might as well try to enjoy it...right?
But seriously, I need a good snow storm stat!!

Enjoy the weekend ya'll.
I'll be teaching kids how to ski in slush...lucky me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...