Friday, October 3, 2008

Farewell Cassidy...We love you!

Here are some things I will never forget about Cassidy:

-The first night we had her (she was eight weeks old) she wouldn't go to sleep in the dog run that my dad had built. She howled and whined. I set up a cot with a sleeping bag in the kennel with her and slept there for the night. I woke up with her curled up on top of my legs...I was sixteen.

-She always wanted everyone to stay together. When we went on hikes with the family she would always be constantly running around trying to corral everyone back together.

-She hated the mailman!

-She also howled, and went crazy when the UPS truck drove through the neighborhood. She wouldn't howl when any other truck came by (fed-ex, etc) only the UPS truck.

-Her favorite treat was bread...the girl loved her carbs! If I threw a hunk of meat or a piece of bread, she would go for the bread first!

-When she got nervous she drooled like a faucet. When I took her to the dog beach in CA she would get really nervous around all the other dogs and drool like crazy! Or at the Vet!

-She failed at doggy training school. I did my best, but she's a stubborn girl!

-When she came inside in the evenings she would always have to lick Haley and Morgan's chairs...that drove me crazy!

-She was always the best at putting up with Haley and Morgan antics. Haley would stick big leaves in her collar or layer towels (from my kitchen!) all over her back, or pile grass all over her...she never cared a bit.


After they put her down I just couldn't bare to leave her. I just sat there twirling her ear in my fingers, I couldn't grasp the fact that she was gone. It's just not the same around here without her. She was in my life for nearly half of it...she will be missed.






4 comments:

Meg said...

My heart breaks just reading that. You are a strong woman to be able to do that. And you are so lucky to have had a dog like Cassidy in your life.

Rio's Rider said...

I'm so sorry, Kelly. That had to be really hard. How are you holding up?

Your comment about the UPS truck reminds me of the dog I had growing up. He could sense the UPS truck from blocks away. And, just like Cassidy, it was ONLY the UPS truck. If he was barking, you could always expect that truck to come around the corner any minute. I wonder why that is...

Kelly said...

Who knew that a dog would have such an impact on someone! This will take a while to get over.

Jennifer Pribble said...

I know that was a hard decision for you and Ryan. It's amazing to me (as a relatively new dog owner), just how quickly and deeply dogs become in our hearts. Thank you for sharing some of your favorite memories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...