Friday, January 4, 2013

What I'm cookin' up tonight.

I just realized that I already posted a soup with lentils a while back...so, sorry I'm not being more creative with my recipes.  Just think of it as another meal for you use to up all those leftover lentils you have in your pantry.  
Lentil and Sausage Soup
* This recipe comes from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook 12th Edition*

2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1 cup sliced celery (2 stalks)
1 cup carrots (2 medium)
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 ounces cooked, smoked sausage links sliced

In a large saucepan combine chicken broth, water, lentils, celery, carrots, onion, dried thyme (if using), red pepper, and garlic.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are tender.  Stir in fresh thyme, if using, and sausage.  Heat through.

I have no idea how they get their lentils tender in 25 minutes!  Like I've said before, I like really soft lentils...so this soup has been simmering on my stove for the last 2 hours or so, and we still have another hour until dinner.  I've added another can of broth and a cup or so more of water.  I also added more carrots.  See what I mean?  I can never follow a recipe perfectly...but it smells super good, so I'm thinking it will turn out just fine!

Since I missed last week sharing a recipe I'm giving you a two-fer today.  This recipe I saw on Pinterest, and I've been craving it ever since I saw it!  I made it for tomorrow's breakfast.  We're celebrating the New Year in the morning since I was slighted on the actual day.  I was looking forward to eating unhealthy that morning, and dang it, I will make that happen, even if it's a bit late!

Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
You can find the recipe for this here.
I haven't tried it yet, it's sitting on my counter, surprisingly untouched so far...but good grief it looks good!

Happy Weekend y'all!

Oh, and in case you wondering...Rory is still going strong!  Go Rory!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, let me know how you like it. We loved it :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...