Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cooking with Kelly: Scones

Sometimes I think scones get forgotten about...muffins always seem to take the center stage over scones.  But I prefer a scone (done right) over a muffin any time.  They are much denser than a muffin and don't have as much sugar...and if they're done correctly they're nice and moist.  They go hand in hand with a cup of coffee...or a cup herbal tea in my case.


This recipe comes from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook.

2 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter, cut into pieces
2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup dried currants or snipped raisins
Milk 
Sugar

In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Using a pastry blender (or fork), cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.  Set aside.

In medium bowl combine eggs, whipping cream and currants.  Add mixture all at once to flour mixture.  Using fork, stir until moistened.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth.  Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8 inch circle.  Cut into 8 wedges.  

Place wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.  Brush wedges with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.  Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden.


* Just to be clear...this is the original recipe.  I actually have never used currants or raisins in my scones.  I prefer blueberries.  The scone pictured I used both raspberries and blueberries and they were delicious!  Also, I rarely have whipping cream on hand and usually just use whole milk and I find that they come out just as good!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks yummy (your version sounds way better)! I'm gonna try this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...