Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine's and Tradition

So Valentine's Day is tomorrow.  The little ones and I have been out and about every morning this week looking for the perfect things to decorate for our Valentine's dinner.  Haley and Morgan have no idea what I've been up to...I want them to be surprised!  Not that it takes much...all I have to do is put a vase of flowers on the table and they go crazy!  I love that about them!  These are times when I'm especially grateful for my girls.  Perhaps four little boys would appreciate it just as much, I don't know.  But then, growing up I don't EVER remember my brothers getting excited for a pretty table...at least if they were, they never showed it very well.  But then, guys are simple creatures.  Ryan would be happy if I served him his steak on a paper plate.  But I know he appreciates when I go extra mile to make it special too.

When holidays roll around I feel like my job as a mom is in full swing...as stressful as it is to make sure everything is just right (well, as close as I can get)...I love it!  It's my job to create traditions and add special details to make things memorable for my kids.  And they appreciate it so much!  It's such a great payoff.  I'm looking forward to seeing my girls' eyes light up on Valentine's when they discover candles on the table.  Or how thrilled they'll be to drink Martinelli's from wine glasses and eat off the special china.  Like I said...it's the little things...it truly is.

Years ago when Haley and Morgan were younger I felt more frazzled around holidays.  I wanted things to be special but I just didn't know where to start.  I remember a Valentine's Dinner I made years ago and it turned out to be such a disaster.  I chose a meal that was way too complicated...nothing was coming out right and my timing was terrible.  We ate much later than I had anticipated and by the time we did sit down I was so frustrated and grumpy.  Plus, I never did have time to set the table pretty.  I put way to much emphasis on the meal!  Little girls don't care that steak is being served but they do notice a pretty tablecloth or flowers on the table.  

So, since then I have learned a little bit...like, KEEP IT SIMPLE!  I also learned that traditions are so important!  They can take out a lot of stress that can come from trying to think of what to cook or what to do.  I serve the same Valentine's meal every year.  That way I can focus on little details for the table that the girls look forward to and enjoy.

Our Valentine's Menu:

Steak au Poivre
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans Amandine
Rolls 
Baby Lava Cakes

It sounds fancy, but it is actually really easy.  The hardest part is making sure the steak isn't overcooked...I would really hate to screw that up!  This is one time a year that we splurge and buy a good cut of steak...and I think it's safe to say that it's Ryan's favorite part of the meal.

So anyway, my point is that as moms it is our jobs to make sure our kids are fed, clothed, warm, cozy, safe and loved.  But I also feel it's important to celebrate life, to have special days that the kids can look forward to throughout the year.  Something out of the ordinary.  I want them to have memories of drinking out of the fancy glasses and eating off the good china, not just seeing them sitting in a cabinet unused.  Celebrate the grand things as well as the little things in life.

So with that I hope everyone has a lovely Valentine's Day!  Here's to keeping up with traditions or starting new ones! 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...